08 August 2010

System build 2010 continued (Part 2)

Well, I plunked down the cash at Newegg and got the rest of my parts, but I'm still far from finished. It looks like I may be able to attempt booting up my system tomorrow, though.

The rest of the system:
RAM: 6 GB (3x2GB) of Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz DDR3 RAM ($40 cheaper than usual because I omitted the fancy blinking LED's and got the "OEM" version)
Video Card: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5850
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 (due to size constraints of the case)
SSD: Corsair FORCE series 60GB
HDD: Western Digital 750GB Black

My progress from Friday, showing the beginnings of the rats nest:


Wrangling the wires is an absolute pain- it is without a doubt the most frustrating thing about building this system. Since I'm working with such a small case, every last bit of extra cabling is putting me in between a rock and a hard place, as well as every little cable that just barely does not make it. I'm prioritizing and switching things around, I've omitted some of the fancy light and fan controls that the case comes with because of cable concerns, and it's slowly but surely coming under control. The thick 24-pin power supply cable vexed me the most, although just moments ago I had a breakthrough by pulling the video card back out and re-routing the cable in front of the lower hard drive rack you see in the case, up around the front fan, and finally to the motherboard socket. Some of the SATA power connectors I've actually trimmed, and it looks like I may end up doing some more cable splicing to bring things under control as I still need to add the two power cables to the video card which are (as expected) way too long. Thankfully, now that the thick power supply cable is under control, there is a space in the case behind the motherboard to tuck a moderate amount of cabling. It just struck me that rather than splicing, it may make sense to just loop all the extra cable around in the back of the case there and secure it in place with zip ties, rather than doing any splicing. Who knows- this is an evolving project.

More as this story develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment